Thursday, May 4, 2006

My Ode to Tivo

Tivo Allow me a minute of posting-silliness. I love TIVO. I love love love TIVO. TIVO is my friend. I will cheerfully pass along this info to anyone who wonders about TIVO. The TIVO remote is a dream. When you hold it in your hand every button you need is within finger-reach. Your brain becomes one with the TIVO remote and you don’t even think about which buttons you go for, it just happens. When you fast forward it stops on a dime so you can watch a television program almost as if it has no commercials. (Although some commercials are so great you can’t pass them up, like the man staring at a blue Corvette while riding on his riding lawn mower and he drives right down through a bed of, I’m assuming, his wife’s flowers and they fly all over like flower confetti— or the monkey commercial where they’re all pointing their beaming red light pointers at the backside of that poor guy.) I could wax poetic over the TIVO guide. You can literally go to a channel in the guide, page down a few times, and see what is on for the next two weeks— in a few seconds. TIVO is fun, colorful, fast, and extremely user-friendly. I LOVE TIVO.

We don’t have TIVO anymore. Crying

For reasons we now RUE, we upgraded our existing Direct TV sat. system months ago to a Direct TV DVR. For one thing it was cheaper per month. Sigh. The remote gives us fits, the guide is frustrating and time-consuming, coming out of fast-forward you don’t have sound for a bit. PLUS you run into the program before you can stop it from fast-forwarding, which, if you’re watching 24 is NOT fun to see what’s happening while you can’t hear and then the suspense is over. The “go-to-the-end” of the show button goes to the end, but you’re supposed to be able to push it again and go the beginning of the show. Isn’t that right, TIVO? Well, I never would have written my Ode to TIVO if I hadn’t been pushed. Last night our DVR just up and decided not to start recording LOST so we missed the first 15 minutes. Which, in the grand scheme of things, doesn’t matter to me. But it still bugged me. You would think Direct TV would want to put out a superior product. I would go back to TIVO in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment