Sunday, May 7, 2006

Spring Wildflowers

We went for a ride in the woods last night. The weather has been so coldish that I kind of forgot about taking a ride out to see the wild flowers. I forgot to take the camera so we went for a walk late this afternoon after fishing.

woods walk

You can see that it is so pretty out there this time of year
with everything getting greener and the wildflowers are so plentiful.



I just love wood violets.
There are some spots where they are just scattered all over the ground.

wood violets

Wood violets and yellow violets.

wood violets

yellow violets


Wood Anemone

Wood Anemone

Dutchman's Breeches
members of the poppy family are related to Bleeding Hearts

Dutchman's Breeches

Dutchman's breeches

Hanging in a row,
On a tiny clothesline,
In the woods you grow.
Rain and dew will wash you.
Soil and dirt will go away.
Sun and wind will dry you.
On a sunny day.

- Loretta Kuse -


At the end of the walk I found these marsh-marigolds
also known as "cowslip," a member of the buttercup family.

marsh-marigolds

There is a spot in our woods we call the "peninsula."
It's just a little sandy area that juts out into the bend in the river. That is where this tree is. Someone must have leaned a board in the V of this tree many, many years ago. The tree grew right around the board.

the tree grew right around this board

This is the other side of the tree.

board in the tree from the other side

1 comment:

  1. HI there! Love your beautiful pics! I also love nature and live in the country - well sort of. I homeschool and live on only 1/2 acre on the edge of a town of 100 but there are many of acres all around our house and we really have no neighbors! I found your blog because I had started a blog by the same name here but decided to move mine to wordpress but still had this bookmarked from my old one after I deleted it and accidentally clicked on it! Very funny! Anyways, I'll have to check out your blog often as I love seeing other people's discoveries! My new one is at http://naturejournaler.wordpress.com if you're interested in checking it out! God bless!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete