Thursday, August 17, 2006

August in the Woods

The days are just racing by. I wish August, with weather like we've been having, would just go on and on. Crisp, clear days, just perfect weather. Jack and I have been going for daily rides in the woods. I just so look forward to it . Life, as I'm sure for most, is just not easy sometimes and these regular visits out to the woods and seeing the river has just been such a blessing to me. Last night we ran the four-wheeler up into the back of the truck and drove around to the other side of the river, the part of our land we can't get to from this side which is unfortunate as there is more of it over there than here.

I’ll interject here that when we go for rides or walks in our woods, we ride down a short field lane before we get to the woods. Also, most of our land is on the other side of the river from where our house is. There is no bridge across so we have to drive around the country block to get to our land from the other side. Being immensely thankful for our land and realizing how blessed we are, bridge or no bridge, it is still a bit of a pain and certainly a disadvantage.

So, we rode around in the woods on the other side of the river, and that was really nice for a change of trail. It was fun to see new things. There was a deer in the field when we got there and a skunk doing a fast waddle out of our way. There is a place I just love. It is a dark forested area with a stand of hemlock that makes you feel like you're way back in the woods somewhere, like a fairytale. I took pictures but they never do it justice.



I spliced two photos together for this one.



When we were done and riding back to the truck we came upon a bunch of bright gold mushrooms. They were just so pretty.

Yellow Patches, Amanita flavoconia

I think this one looks like a little mushroom house. LOL

I think this one looks like a little mushroom house. *Ü*




No comments:

Post a Comment