Thursday, June 14, 2007

Early June Photos

It is always such a delight when we suddenly come upon a deer. They are so beautiful, the female doe so delicate. I am hoping very much to run across a doe with a fawn. We see tiny little hoof prints in the mud on the track so I am hopeful. If you look closely you will see a deer in the center of the photo below.

 
Here is a closer look.

One day Jack and I came upon a three-legged doe. We don't know how she lost her leg, and it made me very sad to watch her awkwardly navigate her way on one front leg. Though she looks rough, she is very beautiful. We see her from time to time.



There is a chipmunk who lives in an old hollowed out log. He helped me to learn a valuable lesson. When we first got our new camera, he delighted me by sitting on the log, chewing cutely on some bit of food while I click-click-clicked away, beautiful photos with the light just perfect behind him. It wasn't until I got home that I realized the card wasn't in the camera. I was so disappointed! I think I will never let that happen again. So I was even more delighted when he finally showed himself again recently, peeking cutely from his little hiding place.



Sadly I must tell you, he is no more. Owl is all I will say.


I finally got a photo of the ever-elusive and never-one-to-stay-in-one-spot-long kingfisher. He is not a handsome fellow up close.


Sometimes we don't go very far from the house to see beautiful and interesting things. The killdeer will make her nest and lay her eggs in the most perilous (for her young) of places. We have a nest just at the edge of our driveway. The picture below shows her sitting on it.


She hollows out a little area and lays her eggs, sitting on them for days until they hatch. Usually she shares this job with her mate but our current killdeer mama is going solo. More often than not raccoons or prowling cats come in the nighttime and devour her eggs.



The day after we found her nest, the eggs had increased from two to four. I am amazed the eggs are still there.



When something or someone goes too near the nest, she will get up and run and try to draw you away from her nest. She gives piercing screams and will even stick one wing out as if it is broken trying to draw your attention.


The bird below is a Cedar Waxwing, one of my favorites. They love to flit around in the pine trees and they sound a bit like crickets chirping.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment