Sunday, April 20, 2008

How-To With Blogger #1

When I first used Blogger some time ago, I liked the ease of dragging the page elements in the edit layout, but I didn't realize you could do anything beyond that. I thought it was limited to "what you see is what you get." It's amazing how wrong that assumption was! Over time and with the ease of searching through blogger tip blogs, we now have a wealth of help in tweaking our blogs and making them almost all we hoped for them to be. I am really thankful for these people who not only figure these things out but share their information. It's easy for you to search out something specific on your own, but some things I hadn't even thought of trying to find, like this one:

How to get rid of the "showing posts with label . . ." message box.

I have always wished I could do away with the little boxed message that occurs above a post when you click on a label. You know, this one:

If you click on Archives up at the top of this blog, all posts show up but without the above message box. I wanted to be able to have it this way on my other blogs, so I typed "showing posts with label" into Google today and found this site: The Real Blogger Status. Happily, I now know how to get rid of the message. Not only that, it was very easy.

How to add a horizontal bar of navigational links to your blog

Unless your template provides for this already, this is a nice element to add to your blog if for no other reason than to free up sidebar space. I found this tweak at Split Decisionz and it was also very easy. It simply involves editing your template to give you page elements in the Layout where there were none before and then adding links HTML style to the new page element.

* Additional note: At first I didn't think it would work for me. My links ended up showing up at the top inside the header graphic instead of below it. But I realized this was because of my blog header. When I installed and edited my template (for another blog), I had typed my blog header graphic into my template manually instead of inserting it into the page element for the header as usual. So this tweak wasn't recognizing that there was a blog header graphic. I used her instruction to add a page element to the "content-wrapper" instead which is beneath the block of text she refers to. If this should also be the case for you, find the block of text in the box below where you will just change the showaddelement from no to yes (in red). This adds a page element below the header area but above the rest of the blog. Incidentally, you could use this area for something other than navigational links.

<div id='content-wrapper'>

<div id='crosscol-wrapper' style='text-align:center'>
<b:section class='crosscol' id='crosscol' showaddelement='yes'/>
</div>

How to remove the border around the graphics in your posts

I was just going to mention briefly how to do this, but Split Decisionz has a very nicely written up instruction for removing this annoying little border or how to use this border to your advantage if you'd like by changing the way it looks or making it a different color, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment