Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cherry-Chicken Salad Croissants

Cherry-Chicken Salad Croissants Do you get the Taste of Home magazine?  I'll make you want to. wink  I'm going to share a recipe that I tried the other night.  I suspect it's a pretty popular recipe with lots of variations, but here is the Taste of Home version in the new August/September 2008 issue.

 

 

Cherry - Chicken Salad Croissants

by Martha Goodrich
Wilmington, Delaware

"I love cherries and happened to come across this recipe one day.  It's a real hit with my family, and a friend's husband even took it to work to share with the office staff."

2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
2/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped tart apple
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons buttermilk (or a bit of lemon in milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
7 croissants, split

In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cherries, celery, apple and pecans.  In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, salt and pepper; add to chicken mixture and mix well.  Spoon 1/2 cup chicken salad onto each croissant.  Yield: 7 servings.

Thumbs-upDo take the time to roast the pecans...just a little bit in a 350° oven, watching carefully. wink (experience talking)  They add so much to the sandwich.

We just loved this!  A new favorite.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pam...well, my mouth is now watering & I 'must' get something to eat! It looks absolutely delicious! I am going through my cookbooks & trying to find some new things for meals. I went online to browse recipes, but found that you can be there 'all' night looking at them! Thank you so much for sharing this. Love you Pam! Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao sweet Pam, how are you? Missed ya sooo much! I'm not eating chicken anymore after the "chicken fever" :P but your Chicken Salad Croissants looks soooo YUMMY! :) I'm so trilled today coz I should be back on line really soon! YAY! Just keeping my fingers crossed. Plus, on the 16th hubby & I are going to Italy for 2 weeks vacation, YAY! ;) Big hugs from cloudy Scotland. I'm on my way to your Cooking Tip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. my. goodness. This is right up my alley! I am on my way over. Seriously, it would be fun to have a lunch date. I am going to save this recipe...thanks. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy Pam! Thanks for the great recipe. I may just give it a try & instead of the cherries I may substitute cranraisins instead.

    Hope you have a great weekend!!

    Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Taste of Home! I seen that recipe and thought it looked delicious but haven't tried it. I can't wait to now! :-D

    ReplyDelete