Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reminiscing and Scrapbooking

It is my Aunt Helen's 90th birthday on Saturday.  I have not seen her for over twenty years, but she lives closer now so it will be wonderful to travel to be with her to celebrate her birthday.  I have been so taken (read: enthralled) with digital scrapbooking, I decided to do a few pages for her.  So my mind has really been going back a long way these last few days as I go through photos.

Long ago, before I got married, I would go on cross-country bus trips with my grandmother.  We would wind our way east from Minnesota, then down south, and then over to New Mexico.  That's where these scrapbooking pages are coming from, our visits with Helen, my grandmother's sister.  (I'll back track a bit and tell you about my dear grandmother - read the post below entitled For One More Day.)

Here are two of the pages I have made for Helen.  (she is on the left, my little grandma on the right) I am so loving this scrapbooking! This first page holds photos which have always been my favorites.  I'm just a little old lady at heart...so even though I was just a young woman when I took these photos that day, with my whole life ahead of me, sitting like this, chatting on an old-fashioned summer afternoon, that's where my heart lives.  Being like that.  So this page especially will ever be my favorite.

page 1

this page is a morning we cooked breakfast out in the desert

page 2
scrapbooking kits are all from Shabby Miss Jenn Designs
 

8 comments:

  1. And you said that you weren't sure you'd be a good candidate for digital scrapping because you would not know what to where. HA HA!! *wink wink wink and big smile* You are GREAT at it! MUCH (much) better at it than I am without a doubt. You are very creative for sure! I love the pages.

    Wonderful photos! Happy birthday, Helen! What a beautiful gift of love, Pam. :)

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "what to PUT where"...I really need to proofread my commments! Sorry! *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Tera...that is impossibly sweet. :) I appreciate that more than you'll know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous scrapbooking - great way to capture memories! My Mum put together s lovely scrapbook last year to celebrate my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary - it is destined to become a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, first off I must say that I sobbed right along with you as I read 'For One More Day'. I think of my Mom so often (hourly), & I sometimes with for just one 'hour' or 'minute', or to just hear her laugh or her voice say my name. You truly touched my heart by sharing your sweet memories of your beloved Grandmother. And yes, we will see them again, but it doesn't make the missing any less, does it? You really blessed me with your memories! It brought back to me, those last weeks with Mom - my voice breaking into sobs as I 'knew' I 'must' tell her some things, & that if I didn't, I wouldn't get another earthly chance - I had to tell her what a wonderful Mom she was, & that I cherished her & her raising me. I understood your 'burying yourself into her front'. This is what I felt like - I asked my Mom 'How do you let your Mom go? I 'need' you!'...of course, she comforted me. I am sorry Pam - I did not mean to write you a book, but your post really triggered emotions for me. You shared & wrote from your heart. But that is so you. Thank you!

    And your scrap pages! How lovely Pam!! I must email you some that I have done. Don't you just love it?! I have been sitting here at 3AM, knowing that Emily will wake me up in just hours, & still I sit working on new pages. It is 'so' addictive! I absolutely 'love' what you have done!

    Now I will close this 'book'. Sorry such a long tag! I love you Pam...sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again after the last post and just wanted to say... LOVE the scrapbook pages! You are making me want to look into this digital scrapbooking yet I am afraid of yet another addiction. Poor Doug is running out of shirts because I've been so preoccupied with other things to finish my ironing from last week - lol

    Great job and can't wait to see more!!

    Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to follow the trail over here to catch up with you. So I read back about 3 posts... and echo what several others have already said about the previous post. Isn't it interesting, and special, and beautiful how similar experiences and relationships can be in our lives. Oh, we do different things, experience different things along the journey - but the relationship itself, the love which is shared, the fullness of our heart from loving and being loved and nurtured - these are very much the same from life, to life, to life.

    And the sorrow that overshadows us as life changes and these beloved ones move on to heaven. It is similar as well.. that deep longing in the heart, the ache, the tears that can come so randomly... we share many common experiences and emotions. It sort of reminds me of my mama's favorite song in church. Every week we would sing it at the end of the service, right before the benediction... "Blest be the tie that binds.. our hearts in Christian love. The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above..." it was almost like a hug and expression of love for one another in that place as well as joining us with that great throng above...

    Yes indeed..
    Love ya, Pam girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girls....
    Lisa, Judy, Sue, and Lynn...and Tera, again...thank you so much...your comments have warmed my heart, and have truly encouraged me. :) And thank you also for the super comments about the scrap booking pages. I love it! and it is really fun to share with you.

    ReplyDelete