Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back Home Again and Busy

Last week got away from me.  We went out of town for the weekend, met up with my brother and his family, spent a fun night at a hotel with them, realized I will never ever want a Sleep Number bed, went out for brunch the next morning, and then spent a rainy afternoon at a science museum.  A great time away.  Now I am happy to be home, happy to have our dog, Barley, home, and happy to immerse myself in all the projects I’m into and waiting for spring to come back.  Brr.

One of the projects is helping Molly with her book.  She made major publishing changes in the last few weeks, and I have been having so much fun with her!  Because part of her goal is simply to get her books out to the people who are wanting to read them, she has decided to become an independent author.  While you might not have the prestige authors enjoy who go the traditional route, this means you don't have to submit your manuscript for review and wait to be accepted or not, and you don't wait a year or more while the book is edited and put together.  It means you have total control over your project.  In this day and age, when it is possible to do this, it makes sense.  And I love it!

She ran across, CreateSpace, an online, print-on-demand company.  You prepare the book from start to finish, editing, formatting, making the manuscript into book pages, etc.  Fun stuff like finding commercial use fonts for book and chapter titles, little scroll-y doodads, a picture for the book cover, etc.  Basically, you are the publisher.  So, Molly has finished the inside of the book formatting, and we have made the book cover.  All she needs to do is convert it all to PDF and upload to this company.  They print a book for your inspection, send it to you, you check it over, give the go ahead, and the book is then available on Amazon.com.  This whole process is just irresistible to me.

Here is a sneak peek of the cover for Every Tear and a new book trailer.  There are links for her web site and blog at the left where she explains this all more fully and also tells about her experiences while writing each book which I thought was fun and quite interesting to read.  I have loved watching her go through all these stages over the last years.

Every Tear

Well, this will be all for now.  I always have the best of intentions for posting, but to be perfectly frank, I am so concerned over what is happening in our country (and I’m not talking about swine flu) that I spend a lot of time each day listening and learning.  And I forget to blog.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I just love the new look in here. Did you make then or use digital scraps? Oh I just saw the link. I will have to check it out. Someday I will learn to do that. I need to get a program first. What do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam! I'm curious to know what you didn't like about the sleep number bed. I've never tried one.

    Very exciting news for Molly and her book. I'm just about to start the final 1/4 of my 2 yr Apprenticeship with the Christian Writers Guild and the last section is all about writing fiction. I'll have to pop over to Molly's site and get some insight from her!

    Enjoy being home and getting back into your groove ;-)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Pam! How exciting about Molly new book! The cover for "Every Tear" is very pretty! I will visit Molly's Blog ASAP! :) Best of luck with CreateSpace, I didn't know such cool things were even possible! :D
    Have a happy day and a relaxing weeked ahead. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wrote: I always have the best of intentions for posting, but to be perfectly frank, I am so concerned over what is happening in our country (and I’m not talking about swine flu) that I spend a lot of time each day listening and learning.
    `````````````
    You have spoken for me as well. I owe you an email but honestly, I lack the emotional energy to respond. And forget blogging! I think many folks who used to visit my blog have stopped visiting because they think I've gone off the deep end with my political rantings! Sorry... no, I'm not sorry! I make no apologies for loving my country and loving the freedoms God has given us - and hating the danger and the threats assailing that life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Here I go on your blog now! Sheesh!
    The book looks great! I think it's awesome that Molly can self-publish!
    Even when I don't reply and don't find my way to my blog for updates - know that I love you, my friend! I know there is much common ground between our hearts. And I take comfort in that.

    Have a good day! And keep the faith!
    Love and hugs
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey girlie, just popping in to say hello. Love your new look here. It is so pretty. I would love to learn how to use these for my blogs. Wish you were around so I could bend your ear.... :)
    Looking forward to Molly's new book. It looks wonderful.
    Believe me, I understand the blogging issue. I think we all go through times like this, that other things really take priorities. And our country and politics is definitely something we need to worry about.
    Hugs!
    Cindy
    www.homesimplehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao dear Pam, just popped in to wish you a very happy Mother's Day tomorrow! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete