Sunday, April 11, 2010

Summer Peach Bread

I’ve been on the lookout for a new recipe, something scrumptious to bake up to bring to church on Sunday morning for coffee time. I found it LOL in my Summer in the Country Gooseberry Patch cookbook. I used frozen peaches but the creator of the recipe said fresh, frozen, or canned work perfectly. And I added about a half cup or less of chopped slivered almonds. The flavorings in this bread and the glaze recipe — which I will now be adding to almost anything I make wink — are absolutely divine.

 Peach Bread

Last Hurrah of Summer Peach Bread

3 cups flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sugar 2 teaspoons almond extract
1 – 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 to 4 cups peaches, pitted,
1 teaspoon baking soda               peeled and chopped
4 eggs, beaten 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup oil  
 
Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl; mix well. Add eggs and oil; stir just until moistened. Stir in extracts, peaches and nuts, if using. Spread into 2 greased 9” x 5” or four, 7” x 4” loaf pans. For regular pans, bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. For small pans, bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted near center. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pans. Pour glaze over warm loaves. Cool completely. Wrap in wax paper and then aluminum foil. Makes 2 regular or 4 small loaves.

Glaze:

1 tablespoon butter, melted 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk 2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract  

Mix all ingredients to make a thin spreadable glaze.

10 comments:

  1. Yum, a slice with no glaze for me, pretty please - I will bring the coffee. ;) How sweet of you bringing it to church on Sunday morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, Kia! that is what is so great about this bread (though I don't know why they call it bread??) even without the glaze it is really yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, Pam! Looks so good, & I am with Kia - a slice for me too...well actually 2 or 3 slices. :-) In fact, as Wally on 'Leave it to Beaver' use to say, how about a "hunk" of cake? :-) What a perfect summer treat. I will definitely try this one Pam. Thank you for sharing.

    Hope you have a wonderful week - filled with all sorts of blesings! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me to! I want it with the glaze! Nice to see you blogging again Pam. I have new pics of my grandbabies at my blog and will add more in a few days. Hope your kids are feeling better. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks yummy. I think I will have to give this a try. I'm sure hubby will love it. Thanks for sharing.

    Hope all is going well with you all. Any more medical news?

    Hugs sweetie,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweet Pam! I wanted to invite you to hop over to my blog & join in the fun of this week. Go take a peek, & hope you join. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam
    I made the peach bread - so good!
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joann, I'm so glad you tried the recipe! :) I can't wait to make it again. I was going to email you and ask if you had ever thought of starting a blogger blog? :) I think you would have lots of interesting things to share.

    To all: I hope to post tomorrow. We had a horrible mishap with our horse today while Jack and I were out of town. I hope he will be okay, but we're not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam,
    how interesting that you should ask about me starting a blogger blog - I did start one but I don't keep it up to date very often or maybe I should say hardly at all - I guess I started a blog just to see if I could do it. But you gave me the push that I needed. Right now I have so many irons in the fire so to speak - missionary stuff! I'll get at it soon.
    Have a great day
    any news about the children?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam! Just wanted to stop by & wish you a sweet, relaxing weekend with your family. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete