Monday, May 17, 2010

Recording Daily Details

It’s so odd how life is. Just one thing after another. The latest — we’ve been hit with the stomach flu, after escaping it all winter long. Two down, hopefully no more to go! Sadly, Jack got sick yesterday morning. It was our 23rd wedding anniversary. So we sure didn’t spend it like we had expected to, but that’s life. And, here’s my segue into my blog post theme: it’s good to record details of that life.

I’m sharing a link, a download, for a little software program. I love gadgets and this feels like a gadget to me, something that helps me to do more in a quick and easy way. Molly has kept a journal, consistently, since she was very young. I admire this and wish so much that I could hold the records of my life in my hands the way she is able to now. What a fabulous treasure she has. I start and then I stop. I start one in Microsoft Word on the computer and then, because I really would rather have it written out in my own handwriting, purpose to begin to journal, and maybe I do, for a few days and then, nothing. Again. So, I have not much to show for my life in the way of journaling even though I desperately want to.

I decided to give in and try to find a journaling software that might help me at least journal consistently, even just quick details of every day, because, in the end, I have become hopelessly computer oriented. I found the Efficient Diary software. It’s not perfect, but it’s free. If you’re aiming to print, it’s horrible. As far as I can tell after searching all the preferences, it will print in a table form with columns which is not something I’m interested in. You could print with just one column, your entry, but then you’d have to insert the date yourself and then why not just journal in Word? So, it leaves something to be desired if your desire is to journal digitally and then print to paper. But, I am liking the program more and more as I see what I CAN do with it. My favorite thing about it is the ability to group entries, kind of like categories in blogging. So, because I am slogging through the always interesting life of the peri-menopausal woman, it is beneficial to me to keep a diary about that subject. Very easy to do with grouping. You can access all diary entries or just one group. It would be easy also to keep a homemaking journal of things you want to begin doing or record progresses in areas you have implemented. When or if I come to the point I want to print out my journal, I figure I can just paste it into Word. But for now, it’s perfect for containing everything and providing me the ease with which to journal quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I guess I could say my blog has been my jornal for the past 7 years. And now that my mom is dying, I am trying to be honest with my feelings. I plan to make her a tribute page like I did when I lost Reina my beloved dog. I am blessed to have my grandbabies. Maybe someday I will have time to read Molly's book. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam! I used to keep a diary faithfully, & even now, love reading back over it. I now use my blog, but with it, you can't be completely personal with some things you want to record or remember. I have wanted to get back to it, & I have been searching for a computer program for it, so I was really happy to find this post. Is it 'pretty'? :-) I am always searching for something that you can really personlize & make pretty - I think that would make me stick with it more. :-)

    Hope things are looking up for you now. Bless your heart - FLU, after everything else??? Praying that it passes very quickly.

    Happy belated anniversary to you & Jack. You will have to celebrate big once everyone is well. Love you Pam! Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! I downloaded the diary program. I do like it. The only thing I wish, is that you could personalize it more. I want it 'prettied' up. :-)

    I posted my May giveaway, & it's one that I think you would like. I hope you drop by & enter.

    Have a sweet weekend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete