Thursday, June 24, 2010

Very Handy Dictionary

Have you heard about WordWeb? It is a free software dictionary, thesaurus, and word finder. I love this program and have used it for a long, long time.

“WordWeb is a one-click English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows that can look up words in almost any program. It works off-line, but can also look up words in web references such as the Wikipedia encyclopedia.”

The thing I like best about it is the ability to use it, as it says,to look up words from within almost any program. There is no need to open up the WordWeb program. When I am writing, I just press the Ctrl key and right-click on whatever word I am working with. Up pops the WordWeb window. You can use it in email, while you are browsing the internet, any number of programs where you suddenly find the need to spell check, check the meaning of a word, or find a better word.

The tabs alongside the WordWeb tab are other places you can check if you are online. And the little plus sign you see in the lower white window below, when clicked, gives more and more choices the more times you click. Invaluable for writers looking for alternative words, and just handy for anyone needing a dictionary/thesaurus at their fingertips.

dict

4 comments:

  1. Kewl.... I d/l it and it's kewl. Thanks for the tip!

    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cool tool! I'm going to download it now! Thanks! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! I didn't realize that there was this tool. Very neat! You find the neatest things! And here I've been going online for a dictionary if I needed it.

    I have to tell you - your prior post made me laugh. :-) Did you watch that speech on the oil spill??? I guess you did. :-) I was sick & angry. Will President Bush ever stopped being blamed??? Love you Pam...& thank you so much for the scrapbooking links. I have been having fun. :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you all enjoyed trying out WordWeb! This is one of the main reasons I love to blog and wish I would make the time to do more often. I have learned so many great things on the Internet over the years, but it is such a large community we could never even hope to come across a fraction of what we would be interested in finding. So I love to share on the off chance it is something new for you. :)

    Happy to see you, Karen! :)

    ReplyDelete