Thursday, July 26, 2012

Texas Ranch Soup

GBBigBookofHomeCooking

This is one of our favorite soup recipes and one that can be made gluten-free. Just make sure you choose ingredients that are gluten-free, like the beans and even the corn. Be sure to check the taco seasoning. The recipe calls for ranch-style beans. I don’t know exactly what they are so we used 1 can each of Bush’s pinto and great northern beans. To make them “ranch-style,” I added a generous squirt of mustard, at least double that of ketchup, a bit of brown sugar, onion powder, garlic salt, and chili powder because I didn’t have any GF taco seasoning on hand. I also used a quart of home-canned tomatoes so I can’t vouch for the diced tomatoes.

Check GF Overflow.com for gluten info on products or other places on the internet to be sure, if labels are inconclusive.

Texas Ranch Soup

1 lb. ground beef, browned
2 15-oz cans ranch style beans (Bush’s pinto/great northern)
2 15-oz cans corn
2  14 1/2-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning mix
Garnish with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, & shredded cheddar cheese.

Combine all ingredients except garnish in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Spoon into serving bowls; garnish with tortilla chips and cheese. Serves 6

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, that recipe sound good and easy! I wanted to let you know I added the Maui part of the Hawaii vacation. I sure hope I can go back someday! I ordered your book for my Kindle. Now if I can just make time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam, I miss you blogging. I am so glad I have cute graphics from you. Hope you are doing well. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! I check in here often to see if you've blogged. I miss you. I guess I can't talk though, seeing as I've not blogged in over a year. So many things have been going on, but I'm finally getting back on track (I think!). :) I loved hearing from you awhile back, & I'm so sorry that I've still not responded. I planned on it every day, but somehow it got as far as my thoughts. :( I'll email you very soon.

    My sister is also gluten intolerant. It's been hard for her to adjust, but she's done ok. I'm so glad that you finally found out that this was what was going on with Molly.

    Not sure if you check your comment here, so I'll go now. Miss you...I really do! Can't wait to talk to you again. Love you Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Pam! I just noticed your book!! I can't wait to read this! Off right now to Amazon to get the Kindle edtion. I'm 'so' proud of you & so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam, I downloaded your book, next on my list to read.
    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Susan. I really hope you'll enjoy my book! And I sure hope your back is feeling better by now. I've been thinking about you.

      Delete
  6. Pam, I keep hoping to find a new post from you. Hopefully you are busy writing the next book in the St. Alban's Bay 'series' (PLEASE tell me there is going to be a series???) Seriously Pam, I could not stop reading your book! I fell in love with the place, & with the characters, & I beg you to not leave me hanging. :) It was one of the best books I have ever read, & it was even more special because I know the author. :)

    I will email soon (hopefully). Like you, life has been full & busy. I know we are feeling the same after Tuesday, & I would love to have you to talk to. I am still in shock. Love you Pam. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy :) I have gotten very little feedback about my book, so it was very fun to read your comment! I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and I'm happy to say I do have plans for a book that tells the combined stories for Noah, Matthew, and Gabri. In the meantime though, I had hoped to write a quicker, shorter book and have been busily planning Maggie's story. She lives at the Blueberry Inn as their baker extraordinaire/Jill of all trades who meets a man from Chicago who has ties to St. Alban's Bay in a way I hope will be interesting and fun to read.

      I would love to hear from you when you have time. I know how busy things can get. My mind is very full lately...I think I told you Jacob has a tumor on his shoulder blade. I won't rest easy until it is removed and we know for sure it is benign. He is coming home from school next week and hopefully it will all be resolved then. As far as the state of the country. Wow. We found out about Barley the very next day, so this week already has been a doozy. Thanks so much for leaving me a note. I appreciate it! XOXO

      Delete