Friday, November 9, 2012

Adapting to This Gluten-free Life

Oh boy. Life certainly is a journey. I’ve wanted to chronicle this new kind of life we’ve been living, share along the way things we’ve found that help, but honestly, it takes a lot of time and mental energy and though it has been three months already, sometimes I still don’t have the hang of it. I try to focus on what we CAN eat, and I’m kind of good as long as I can still drink my lemon tea with vanilla creamer, Winking smile but there are times when the reality of it just stinks. Like what happens when you want to travel, when you want to visit family, what will you eat for all those meals?

That’s kind of where we’re at right now, still figuring all of that out. I think I would be further along in my accomplishments, but this all has come at a time when life is rather bumpy and lately pretty scary. And now on top of it all, we found out our beloved dog Barley (see photo at right) has cancer. I fear from what we have been told that it is a fast-moving, aggressive cancer. I spent 24 hours feeling utterly horrified. I mean how much do we love these pets we have lived with for years and years? The horror finally has dulled, and we go forward to another new normal.

So, life is full of reading labels and checking online to make sure something is gluten-free, finding new recipes to try and ordering bulk flours from Amazon and weird ingredients I’ve never used before, making bread every few days, and still trying to think of what to have for breakfast, lunch, and supper and sometimes feeling too tired to want to care. Not that I don’t like to bake bread. I pine for kneading! and grow nostalgic when I see bread recipes on Pinterest. It’s just that gluten-free bread is not in any way satisfying to bake, usually. Sometimes. I keep trying but more often than not I just choose to be happy with what comes out of the oven. I have a loaf raising now and have ridiculously high hopes for it. It has ground flax seed in it, and I know it would be really good for us if it could become a staple recipe. I’ll share it if it becomes one I use often.

Okay, now that I’ve finally broken the ice and posted again, Winking smile maybe I can see my way to posting some things that might also help others wading through this gluten-free life.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I took a chance to see if you had posted and you did. First I want to say how sorry I am about your Barley. I was so heart broken when my Reina suddenly died. Judy stayed up with me most of the night consoling me and helping me do a beautiful tribute page for her. I still miss her. But I am blessed with my 3 grandbabies. The news talked about gluten free cooking and how it was a lot of work. I think it is good to post how you feel and share with us what it is like. Please leave me a tag next time to do post since I don't use blogger. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I am 'so' happy to find a new post! I really do wish you'd come here more often. You are so missed.

    I'm so sorry about your sweet Barley. He is a beautiful dog! I still miss my Pugsley so much,& many days I find myself in tears & just aching to hold her. Her photo sits here by my computer, so she's always near. I will be praying for you, for Barley, & for your family as you go through this sad time.

    I can understand how you feel about the gluten free living. My sister was diagnosed a year & a half ago, & she has hated every step of it. She still does, & gets very down over it. She loved food with a passion, & was a huge bread eater, & she is so depressed over feeling as though she has to be deprived of the things that brought her so much joy. Sad thing is, she feels no better since giving gluten up. I know you loved coffee - how do you deal with not having that now? I really do feel for you Pam.I just hurt for you! I do think it would help you to blog your feelings.

    Have a blessed day Pam. Love you!! Sending you big hugs, & I will keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Pam! I hope you & your family had a blessed day. I was thinking of you, as I know living gluten free can be very difficult & depressing during the holidays. My sister gets so down over it. Wanted to let you know too that you are a blessing to me! I'm thankful for you.

    Have a blessed day Pam. Keeping you in prayer. I think about you each day. Love you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete