Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Feeling So Thankful

Before I get down to some practical posts regarding some gluten-free cooking and baking I’ve done recently, I wanted to write about two things that have made my heart lighter and for which I am so thankful. My son, Jacob, had a tumor removed from his shoulder blade and his follow-up appointment confirmed the tumor was benign. I can heartily say, “…good news gives health to the bones.” Proverbs 15:30 I was so relieved as the whole process from initial doctor visit and CT scan to surgery took so long to coordinate because Jacob is away at school. It really took a toll on my nerves, but you know how “all things work together for good,” Romans 8:28, and it took me through a journey I’d not been on before and I learned through it. Further, Jacob is recovering well, and in the end, we were terribly blessed by having him home for a long visit, two and a half weeks. We hadn’t seen him since August so it was a wonderful time. We capped the visit off by seeing Red Dawn and spending our last day quietly at home drinking hot drinks and decorating the Christmas tree, Jacob reading for class, baking, and watching Everybody Loves Raymond.

My other stupendous news is that my dog, Barley, does not have cancer! I was so shocked by the news, I cried. We took him to the vet the very day we discovered he had a sizable lump low on his side, and what she saw on the slide led her to believe it was an aggressive cancer. We opted to send the sample for testing and found out it was instead Blastomycosis, a horrible and often fatal infection with symptoms like sudden & permanent blindness. Early detection is crucial, and we realize now how small our window of detection really was. Barley’s lump began to go away within a day or two, and if we had never noticed it initially, we would never have known. By the time we did, it would likely have been too late. He is on medication for three months. When we thought he had cancer we decided to switch him over to a completely raw diet. Let me tell you he is loving that! He suffered badly from allergies, and I think this is helping him with that and also he is losing weight that he needed to lose. Win, win! Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment