Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gluten-Free Stuffing for Thanksgiving

When our family had to go gluten-free this year, there was a lot of sadness over the fact we would never eat this and that again. EVER. Like Pizza Hut pizza or Applebee's boneless chicken wings. And then other things begin to set in like realizing, wait, stuffing for Thanksgiving!

I usually tear up fresh hamburger buns for my stuffing, but this year that was not an option. Because there was so much going on at the time, I have to admit I almost just didn’t attempt it. But it was important to my boys.

So, without having any idea what in the world I was going to do, I made up two loaves of gluten free sandwich bread, and cut them into slices. I cut those into strips and then half inch cubes. I dried the cubes in the oven for a few hours, probably longer than I needed to because they came out pretty set. But, maybe that helped keep them from getting mushy in the end which is what I envisioned gluten-free bread doing. Here is what they looked liked before I mixed in the liquids.

gluten-free stuffing cubes

Jack sautéed onions and I readied chicken broth and melted butter. I mixed all of it together, the bread cubes with salt and poultry seasoning, the onions and the liquids, and baked it up and it was so tasty! A lot like really good Stove Top Stuffing. Actually, they all liked it better than what I’d made before and they loved that. Even Molly who never eats stuffing loved it. So I was pretty darn pleased. Smile Here it is before it was baked.

gluten-free stuffing

Just a side note. I used Sweet White Rice flour to thicken my turkey gravy and it was wonderful. Who needs real flour?! Winking smile

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I am glad you tagged me. I just read all your recent post and think it is amazing that you have been making your own gluten free breads. I would not worry about the bread caving in as long as it taste ok. I am sure your family appreciates all the love that goes into your work. I am especially happy to see you blogging again! I downloaded your book but now my older Kindle is acting up. Oh good news about Barley. My Reina will have been gone 3 years on the 30th and I still miss her. Thanks for praying for my dad and son. I feel confident that my son will be ok. Not sure about my dad, but he says he is ready to meet the Lord at anytime. Have a nice day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam, I miss your blogs. I hope you are doing well. I wanted to check out your recipes because my brother in law has colon cancer and they have made some major food changes. Take care! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, I hope you are doing well. I guess you are writing again. I miss your blogging. FB has changed things for good and bad. Take care. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam! I may have to try this recipe. I want my daughter to cut out some gluten to see if it helps her, and for awhile I was baking a very good gluten free bread, but then she got sick (throwing up sick) and ever since, the though of eating the GF bread has been appalling to her. She didn't even eat it before she got sick, so I am not sure what the aversion is. Anyway, that stuffing looks just like normal stuffing. I have a really good recipe that uses hot sausage, apples, celery, onions, and some spices, so if I substitute GF bread, it just might work!

    ReplyDelete