Thursday, December 6, 2012

Little Gluten-Free Baking Victories

I have had lots of little victories lately in the realm of gluten-free baking which is good because I was feeling kind of defeated. Let’s hope I can remember what they were! Open-mouthed smile

cavedbread

This picture is a partial victory. Winking smile I mentioned a gluten-free sandwich bread awhile back, the one with flax seed, and I have made it numerous times since. After trying lots of gluten-free bread recipes, it is the most like regular bread that I have ever baked and even toasts up great! It really is just wonderful though the Golden Flaxseed Meal taste is strong to me and sometimes I halve that ingredient with something else like Whole Grain Rolled Oats. I think it will be one of my main recipes, but I’m still having trouble with it. For some reason, after baking, it caves in to the point the bread has an hour-glass figure. It really cuts into the bread content then, especially when it sucks in on the bottom too as you can possibly see above. So odd and frustrating. Time after time, loaf after loaf, no matter how I adjust baking time hoping to make it firm up enough to hold. I’ve read some comments on the recipe page though, and I’ll do some more experimenting. Hopefully it might be as easy as finding I might be raising it too long.

I made Gluten Free Waffles into pancakes while Jacob was still home, and he loved them! Next time I’ll make them as waffles. It is a fantastic recipe.

I tried Gluten Free French Bread, only once and can’t remember details to tell, but I was pretty impressed. Enough to promptly order a French Bread Pan and the crust was crusty!! If you are gluten-free, you know how much we miss crusty. Winking smile

There were other victories, but perhaps this was the most satisfying. When Jacob came home for his surgery and Thanksgiving, stuffing was at the top of his wish-list. It is one of the things my boys have always loved about our Thanksgiving dinner, so it was important to me to try and re-create it this year when so many things have been changing. It was a huge success, and I’ll write about it in a separate post. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment