Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Writing Desk

writingdesk

Just for fun, because my friend Susan, who has a wonderfully personable and long-running website, asked if there is a particular place I like to write, I thought I’d post a pic of my desk. We have a full house, so I write in a corner of my bedroom upstairs. This is what my monitor looks like when I’m writing. I use a software program called Scrivener, for plotting and planning scenes and compiling character photos for inspiration, that has become indispensable to me. I could write a whole blog post on Scrivener alone. I write actual chapters in Microsoft Word.

This story I’m working on, the rough draft is about a third of the way finished. Not sure I want to share the storyline yet. I love the characters and have an older couple as well as a younger couple, and maybe even a little suspense which is quite a departure from what I usually write, so this has been a lot of fun to work on.

My first book is simply a labor of love, something I’d been working on for many years. They say, write the story you want to read, and I did. I know for certain it has many flaws. It’s greatest offense is “head-hopping” where the points of view of both characters is shown in a single scene. I’m not entirely sure but I think I learned this by reading very old romances, and though I didn’t know any better when I wrote this story, even if I had, I think I simply couldn’t bear not to. There are lots of sparks between the main characters, Mac and Carly, and I wanted to be able to show both their thoughts during an argument, for instance. Or a kiss. Smile

Since my writing is very character driven and what I like best about writing, it is hard for me to limit myself to one point of view per scene, but I am learning and working hard to do that from the outset this time around even though I still sometimes include both POVs during a scene with clear line breaks between. It makes me wonder if readers notice head-hopping quite as much as the rule keepers insist they will. I’ve never noticed it as a reader, or tossed a book away because of it, but that’s a whole other discussion. Smile

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, you are talking to the ultimate change topic, bounce around person there is. I am having no problem reading your book. I can understand the characters just fine. Your writing space looks so cozy. I have not used a computer desk since I retired. I sit in my easy chair with my laptop. But with a screen as great as yours, I do think a desk is needed. Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed it! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I am so glad you have posted! I'm not back to blogging yet, but have so missed you. Not sure if you ever got my tag that I left about how much I loved reading your book. I couldn't put it down, & I'm so hoping for a sequel (fingers crossed!). It was soooo good Pam! I was so caught up in the characters & the story line, that I didn't notice any 'hopping' at all. I can't wait to read your next book! Love your cozy writing spot!

    I too love oils, & have used them for years. I discovered them when I began having anxiety (panic) attacks. You are so right - God given things WORK!

    Think of you so often & wonder how your family is. How is Sam doing? How's the gluten free living going? My sister really dislikes it. Although, I'm not sure I've ever met anyone that loved it. :) Sending you big hugs Pam! Love you & miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam!
    Great to see you posting and how nice to see where you write. Very cozy.
    Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend.
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very interested to learn how others write and think. I am tinkering with the craft and so I'm always wanting to learn. I love your little writing nook. So cozy! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam. I love writing, too, which is why I try to blog often. I would love to write a book, but I am not at all creative when it comes to plots and character development. I always wanted to write a bible study of some sort. Maybe nonfiction would be better for me. I love your writing spot. My 'office' is my chair and my laptop. Maybe someday I'll get serious about writing and set up a space to do it. Have a blessed Sunday evening. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam, I just finished the book and I loved it! I sure hope you write a sequel! I would like to see them get married and have kids and what comes about with the cottage and what happens to the brothers and so on. :)

    ReplyDelete