Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Another Year Older

I find it hard to believe September is nearly over. In some ways I welcome the months going by quickly right now because my son, Jacob, is in his last year of nursing school and planning to move back home when he is finished next spring. He’s just far enough away visits are difficult, and work and school has been absolutely grueling for him, so we won’t see him much or at all for the holidays as he will be working. It’s nice to know a happy goal is at the end of what will likely feel like another long winter.

I’ve been enjoying the fall shows starting. Jack and I love the X-Factor and tonight Person of Interest starts back up. So excited about that. Shield your eyes if this sounds crazy, but I can’t wait for The Walking Dead next month. I’m not a zombie kind of person, but the writer in me loves the character interaction.

Our main computer died a couple of months ago so I have been downloading files from Carbonite for what feels like weeks, trying to get the new computer back to what I had. I am finally done and working to organize it all more efficiently. I want to put a bunch of files on DVD, and of course have, but is this a bit OCDish?? I have a hard time trusting it to DVD. What if the DVD breaks or just doesn’t work? I’m not crazy about making duplicate DVDs, but I have to tell you, that’s probably what I will do. Disappointed smile

So I am glad to be done with what ended up to be a huge never-ending seeming job and onto other things. I actually felt like I was away for a couple of weeks, just such a nose-to-the-grindstone feeling. I need to re-install a program I use called Book Collector. I use it mostly for my Kindle collection which is so ridiculously vast I needed something to remind me what I have. But now I want to start cataloging all my real books.

I had a birthday last week. So I am now 52. Inching ever onward. My youngest turns 21 next Monday, which seems a little crazy. I remember when thinking of them turning 16 seemed like it would never happen. Speaking of getting older, I really want to concentrate more heavily on nutrition in the next weeks. We try, but need to be even more vigilant. It is not enough for us just to be gluten-free, we need to heal, and I need to make sure that is happening. I’ve had a lot of trouble with my shoulder over the last months and I just feel I need to do better, for all of us. My sister and her daughter were both diagnosed with Celiac in the past week, so it has brought up a lot of thoughts of those days we first went gluten free a year ago. I wonder if there is anyone anymore who does not know someone with Celiac?

I’ll leave you with something fun. I remembered something today that I had forgotten I had on the old computer, a browser add-on for Firefox or Chrome. If you don’t know about it, it’s really quite terrific! It is called Send to Kindle and it’s great because you can send news articles, blog posts, and other web content to your Kindle to read in the comfort of your chair instead of sitting at the computer. I really love it! Check it out. Smile

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I don't use FF as my main browser, but it is something I would like to check out. I have an old Kindle that Judy gave me. I have been thinking of getting a newer one. So what kind lf computer do you have. I have a bad shoulder too. It was doing ok for awhile, but I gained a few pounds and then picked up something and now it really hurts when I move it a certain way. We have started our fall shows. We like DWTS, Survivor, Hawaii Five 0 and Blue Bloods. That is what Jr and I watch together. I watch more and play on my laptop. I added a picture of my sibling at the cemetery. We felt at peace. A belated Happy Birthday!!! Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I'm so sorry that I missed your birthday! I guess it would help if I knew when it was though. :) Happy belated birthday! I hope it was wonderful for you! You are giving yourself the best gift - that of health. I have really been focusing on health too. I've been on this kick of making everything from scratch, including jams, pickles, cereals (granola), ect. I love knowing what is in our food.

    This is totally off subject, but I just looked up above your comment section & see your Gooseberry Patch cookbook. If you could see how many of those I have! I love them, & love just sitting down with them.

    I'm glad you've gotten all your computer stuff finished. You sound like me - backing it up in more than 1 or 2 places. :) Now that you are finished, I so hope we can have that long visit that we've been promising one another that we would have. In saying that though, I just realized that it's my turn to write back, & I will do that. I'm sorry that I've been lax in that.

    I can't wait to hear all about your gluten free journey. I don't have to eat that way (or at least not that I know of), but I've been trying to be wheat free for months. Of course I give in once in awhile & enjoy a slice of bread or something, but I do feel better if I'm not eating it. I've been trying to stay away from it for the past 6 months now, thanks to the book 'Wheat Belly' (what an awful name! lol).

    I really need to write that email, as it seems I write you a book each time I leave a post! :) Speaking of books - please hurry & write the sequel to your Wooing book. It was/is one of my favorite all time books! Hands down! Loved it Pam! Anyway, have a blessed day Pam. Miss you terribly & can't wait to get back in touch frequently. Oh... no, you don't impress me as a Walking Dead type. :) I've never seen it, but not sure I'd want to, as I thought it was about zombies. lol Love you Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Pam! I can certainly empathize with the getting older stuff. I remember laughing (kind of :-p) at my mom complaining about her aches and pains, but now I'm there! My baby is turning 21 next month, so obviously, I'm no spring chicken. I hope you have a blessed Thursday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam, just wondering how you are doing. I hope you post soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete