Monday, November 3, 2014

In Need of an Inspiring Adventure?

8310258_orig

Close your eyes, Ela of Parne. Close your eyes and you will see.

Ela Roeh of Parne doesn't understand why her beloved Creator, the Infinite, wants her to become His prophet. She's undignified, bad tempered, and only seventeen--not to mention that no prophet of Parne has ever been a girl. Worst of all, as the elders often warn, if she agrees to become the Infinite's prophet, Ela knows she will die young.

Istgard has turned their back on me. See the evil they do.

Yet after experiencing His presence, she can't imagine living without Him. Determined to follow the Infinite's voice, Ela accepts the sacred vinewood branch and is sent to bring the Infinite's word to a nation torn apart by war. Here she meets Kien, a young Traceland ambassador determined to bring his own justice for his oppressed people. As they form an unlikely partnership, Ela must surrender to her destiny...and determine how to balance the leading of her heart with the leading of the Infinite.

Will you accept the branch and speak my will? Will you be my prophet?

I have another post I’m planning to write, but I just finished the last book in R. J. Larson’s Books of the Infinite series. Molly read them a long time ago and I was just really intrigued by what she told me. Though fantasy, and not a genre I usually choose to read, they have a strong Old Testament feel. I love the Old Testament, so this really appealed to me. In the first book, a young woman, Ela, accepts the Infinite’s request to become his prophet, even though she knows she will die young because the prophets of her country never live long enough to have gray hair. The Infinite makes Himself known to her in so real a way, all throughout the book, on nearly every page, it just stirs your heart to know our Infinite so well. To know the depth of His love, to serve Him as Ela served her Lord. To seek Him to the exclusion of all else, to put Him first, and to have our hearts broken by the things that break His… I want that.

It was such a fascinating story, so well-told with such rich characters. Even the huge horses, the destroyers, are characters. I just loved that part. Best of all, the story continues through all three books. I am expecting you will just completely love Kien Lantec, the young man Ela meets. He is the judge in the second book, and R.J. Larson has created a perfectly larger-than-life character for the young king in the third book. There are marches through countries, imprisonments, plagues, kidnappings, fascinating parallels with O.T. stories, wars, deaths, but also wonderfully light-hearted camaraderie and delightful dialog between characters and their families.

If you’re in the mood for or in need of an adventure to take you away every now and then, one that will stir your soul, read the Books of the Infinite. So glad I finally did!

6 comments:

  1. They sound like very stirring books. I like reading books in a series or trilogy. Wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Melanie! Sometimes I wish all books were part of a series. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Pam, I saw you posted when I visited Melanie. I am reading a series book to taking place during the time of Nehemiah. I will keep these books in mine. I like getting bargain prices for my Kindle. Hope you have time to visit some blogs. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the series you're reading sounds intriguing. I will check your blog to see what it is or let me know if you think of it. I have so many Kindle books I have found free or at great bargain prices...it has definitely been a #1 thing I am thankful for lately. I have always loved to read, but in recent years had really found myself not reading much at all. Knowing how helpful it is to just let my mind get away, I've made a real concentrated effort to be reading again now and just have enjoyed it so much. Hope you are having a good week. I saw on FB Eddie had a birthday. Cute pictures! :)

      Delete
  3. Pam, these books sound wonderful! Your description of them is very appealing & draws one to want to read them. I'm so glad that you have this escape through great books, in the midst of you having gone through (& still going through) so much.

    I read your last post on OCD, & it broke my heart for you. I'm sorry I've not by to visit you, & read this earlier, but I've been going through such a draining & scary time since August - an issue with the liver. Praise God, after a liver biopsy & an ultrasound, it showed no liver damage, & that is what was thought. My enzyme numbers are back to normal on two of the enzymes, & although still high on the GGT number, it is less than half of what it was a few weeks back. Now today I found out that I need to go through chelation, because my heavy metal toxicity test came back pointing to the need to do so. But I read of all you go through, & my issue pales in comparison! I do know this, the Lord has taught me SO much during all of this - & I pray that that you will look back & find the same. In fact, I bet you have always been taught much. My heart aches for Sam - it always has. I pray for him & I pray for your entire family. I wish I could reach out right now & give you the biggest hug! Love you Pam! Please stay in touch. Oh...did you ever receive my email on Bach's Remedies? I really do think they would help Sam. You also. I believe it's Aspen that helps with thoughts that go round & round in your head. There are so many really good ones. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy, I am So thankful that you suffered no liver damage. What a horrible, scary time this all must have been!! and stuff like this is so sobering. So many thoughts go through your head. But like you mentioned, it sure is not all for naught. You learn so much, and though it is hard to say given what it has been like this past year...if I had the choice (and couldn't pick a different trial, one that wouldn't be excruciating X 100) I would choose to go through this all over again. Because of what it has taught me, and where I am now compared to before. (and the consolation of going through it all over again would be to purpose to complain less over how life has turned out so incredibly different than we envisioned and to arrive where I am now with much more grace instead of being dragged through it kicking and screaming in my pain)

      I had to look up chelation because I didn't know what it was. :) So, I hope that is going well or finished...did you find out why you had a concentrated level of metal??

      Hey, I remember you mentioned Bach's remedies in a comment once, but I did not receive an email from you about them. Sure would love to have read it, to glean info from your experiences. We do use them here, for a long time now, and find they do help so much, but I would love to hear anything you have to share. I really wonder if for some reason our emails just are not connecting?? I sent one to you and Susan last May when things got really scary, and then I wrote again at the end of August about the Sister Circle board because I was never able to really get back to you about it, but I haven't received an email from you since the invitation you sent...so it really makes me wonder now if you are not getting my emails and I am not getting yours. That would be a tragedy! :D Let me know. I really miss being in contact like that. Hope you are feeling much better now. :)

      Delete